I live in urban Sellwood, Portland Oregon, walkable score 99, so who needs two cars?
It was time for my husband to dump his 13 year old Lemon Car, radiator fluid was leaking every where. Could we really both use one Subaru to get around? It was a New Year 2017 test.
How To Donate a Car Who to donate the car to – so many possibles, over 1,000 charities have easy directions on their websites. Most of them take trucks, motorcycles, RV, boats and your donation is tax deductible. A few to check out;
Make A Wish
Portland Rescue Mission
Drive Away Hunger
Kars 4 Kids
OPB – Oregon Public Broadcasting
Autos for Animals
Cars4charities.org – lists 1,000 other charities
- Car must have an engine and be towable
- Have a title clear of liens and you own it
- Read IRS publication 4303 – Donors Guide to Vehicle Donations www.irs.gov
- Car is sold at auction and they notify you how much was donated to your charity
New Mindset New Tools
What will replace the Lemon Car –
1. Walking – Outside our door is Moreland-Sellwood with bevy of stores, restaurants & food carts
2. Biking – Portland has the best network of bike lanes- check out my old Schwinn at end
3. Transit – TriMet buses, Max light rail, Portland Streetcar – The Orange line just came into SE.
4. Car Share and Carpool
- Car2GO – smart cars at your disposal- car2go.com 877-488-4222
- Getaround – rent cars from people nearby – getaround.com 866-438-2768
- Relayrides – rent cars from people nearby – relayrides.com 866-735-2901
- Zipcar – reserve a car by the hour or day – zipcar.com 503-328-3539 x2
- Uber – use the app- like a taxi service – uber.com
The App Moovel shows you how to get to your destination via all these possibilities and is easy to use on your phone.
Portland wants you to get ON BOARD!
Be sure to check out portlandsmarttrips.org it provides tools and opportunities for you to get around by foot,bike, bus, light rail, streetcar, tram, carpool and other alternatives to driving alone. They can send you useful travel tools that allow you to dump that extra car!
Stay tuned to see how it works out. The most important part is communicating and being more organized in your daily trips, which should transpire into a more productive 2017 !
What are you doing in 2017 to DOWNSIZE?